He's not called a "soft rock" musician for nothing; as noted by many of his critics at the time, James' unique selling point is his brilliant voice, which easily reaches into low tenor without sounding like a British Michael Jackson.
Most if not all of his songs are attempts at emotional ballads, and for me they work. Maybe I'm too kind to the posh bastard, but he actually does a decent job with what he's been given; realistic but slightly flowery love songs, most of which deliver the right punch to be entertaining. Some of them are based on past relationships; one song ("No Bravery," a personal favourite from his works) is based on the dissolution of Yugoslavia, and is bloody depressing.
One of the things that makes the songs so powerful is perhaps another asset of the British clear-cut voice, although on this occasion is sounds as if Blunt has been
James is part of my first double bill this week because as a child I was indoctrinated into the James Blunt Cult (that's a tongue twister that can have some unsavoury results) and so I've decided to actually listen to his second album, which I shall be reviewing tommorrow.
So, in summary: completely bonkers powerful tear-wrenching dramatic light rock with a toff's accent and a voice that would shatter a wine glass. Brilliant.
Thanks.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.