Tuesday, 8 June 2010

Review: Harry Potter (7/7): Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, By J.K.Rowling (2007)

Well, we waited a good eight years, but we got there. Harry Potter's final journey takes him far beyond the confines of Hogwarts and out into the rich wizarding world, to places only hinted at in previous books. Spoilers follow.

So before he popped his clogs, Dumbledore told Harry about Voldemort's "horcruxes," items imbued with a part of Voldy's soul. That's why he's got the old immortality thing going on, and so Harry must destroy them all, like he destroyed the diary horcrux that held a young Voldy.

Assisted in true bunker fashion are his two friends, Ron and Hermionie (they have a long-suspected romantic subplot; it's irrelevant for now), mainly because at the end of the last book Hogwarts became under the control of Voldy's forces.

Now this book is a triumph. A majesty. The ultimate pay-off to the series; I only found one flaw with it, despite it being a big flaw (see below). It's language is noticeably more mature than the first book, and so are the characters and their responses to the world arond them.

Oh, and Harry is killed. Not at the end though. No, he goes to LIMBO and comes back again, because a part of Voldy's soul ended up in Harry. PARDON? Maybe I had this reaction because I'm an atheist, maybe I had it becausein Limbo there is an image of Voldemort's soul as a blackened corpse, totally dispelling all of the vital, "Mislead Human" aspect of his character. Good going, JK. I felt no sympathy for Harry by the end of the book. I don't know why, but his arrogance seen in previous books seemed to amplify when he conquered death twice. 

Otherwise, this is a brilliant book. No plot holes, no loose ends. Just the climax to a brilliant series of fiction.
I must say though. The film will be terrible.

Thanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.