Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, By J.K.Rowling (2005)
The last two books form their own finale, but in my opinion HPHBP is the better of the two. Strong, powerful, and although muddled by unecessary romantic subplots, it provides some of the best moments in the series.
Of course I am perhaps a little biased. This was the first book that I read soon after release, and on holiday at that. It's certainly an interesting book, and the series turns into an aging wine with all of its features blooming and wrinkling.
Alright, the basic plot is as follows: Everyone's taken their heads from their arses and saw that there's some funky shit going on in the world. Meanwhile, Voldy acts like a brooding serial killer and starts attacking non-magical people. Dumbeldore is understandably pissed and so starts training up Harry because he's the Chosen One etc. and in the end is killed by an Antihero.
Oops Spoilers! To be honest, I feel incapable of describing the next book without using spoilers, so I might as well start here.
Elsewhere in this story there are around four romantic subplots, each more awkward and unnecessary than the last. Maybe it's a way of identifying that they're getting older, but I just don't see it. She has done a good job representing the irrationality and short standing nature of teenage relationships, but this doesn't complement the overall sense of tension that results from the return and exploits of Voldemort.
Anyway. A good book, if spoiled by a few trivial things, and we get, erm, serious next tommorrow with the finale.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.