Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Opinion: BBC Sound of 2011

I've realised over time that the BBC Sound of... competitions actually do have some thought behind them, and they've guided many of my purchases. If it weren't for this competition, I wouldn't have bothered to listen to Florence + The Machine, Little Boots, Plan B, Ellie Goulding, Marina and the Diamonds or Hurts. So, for the first time, I'm actually paying attention. These are my three personal favourites from this year's Top 15.
(Link: here.)

1.) Clare Maguire ("Ain't Nobody")



Maguire's been working on debut album Light After Dark for two years, and while it hasn't yet been released, its lead single "Ain't Nobody" is already getting critics excited. Mixing powerful, baritone vocals with near-perfect use of synth, the track may seem a little repetitive in places but ultimately provides a unique and moving experience. I'll definitely be buying this album.

2.) Warpaint ("Undertow")



With an already firm reputation for weirdy post-Punk, Warpaint stand to further cement it this year. They've been working since 2004 and already have an EP and LP release. I like "Undertow" for its eerie, dreamlike flow with firm 80s undertones. Moving but slightly conspicious, there's a confidence overlying everything that reassures and the excellent vocal and guitar work seals the deal.

3.) The Naked and Famous ("Punching in a Dream")



In a similar vein to the above, The Naked and Famous give us an energetic synth flow with high-pitched ramblings. It's a little brash; a little gaudy, but at the same time it's powerful and modern with a lot of spunk to back it up. The Kiwi quintet have certainly left we with a good impression.

So there we have it; those are my picks. What do you think about this year's contest, and which do you think will be successful artists in 2011?

Thanks,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.