Thursday, 20 May 2010

Review: Lungs


Lungs - Florence + the Machine (2009)
Ballad perfection. One couldn't want more; strong, empowering vocals, vocals that hold their passion and intent movingly. Florence Welche and her crew of backing artists give us this brilliantly mesmerising album that I loathe to find fault with.
The topics covered by Welche range from nights out to pure flights of fantasy; metaphorical observations of reality to human mutilation; bad relationships to pagan sacrifice. And yet each one seems eerily appropriate for its base, and for her style. She makes good use of harps, sometimes chirping cheerfully in the background and sometimes turning into heavy bass.

You may call me a biased reviewer, and I am, so well done. I cannot find flaws in this album, I cannot find anything to which I have a negative word. Maybe it's the floating, hypnotic verse, maybe it's the sheer level of musical talent on which we have here. For example; the album's namesake single, Between Two Lungs, was first formed when Florence, a pure singer, sat down to play the piano, an instrument she had never used before. What results is moving and powerful, while also strangely relaxing and wonderful.

I simply cannot say any more about how much I just love this album. It's creative, innovative and momentous, and I hope that Florence goes on to do more great things.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.