
Lights, Ellie Goulding (2010)
Brilliant. Just... brilliant. There was apprehension when Ms. Goulding won the BBC's new artist award at the end of 2009, but I am glad to say that this is misplaced. She quite adequately describes her genre as "Folktronica", a merging of two genres, and while one would expect this to be an eclectic mess, her skill shines through and it works perfectly.
In some places, it's vaguly reminiscent of the strong ballads of previous award winner, Florence and the Machine, and in others it matched the technoballad of La Roux. Goulding equals both of them, mixing the spicy techno with the savoury folk guitars which produces a rather lovely Goulding cupcake.
It certainly helps her cause that she has masterful control over the language. Her lyrics are meaningful and thoughtful, employing beautiful metaphors that leaves it standing on the boundary between pop music and spoken poetry. Her words are never laboured; they are allways perfectly delivered to suit the material.
To be honest I often find it easier to write about something I hate than something I love; Ms. Goulding falls firmly in that latter cateogry. I can see a good future for Ms. Goulding and her bretherin, and I hope that she releases some more material in the forseeable future.
Thanks.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.