Thursday, 29 March 2012

Review: Pramface 1.6

Episode image for Aaargh
Jamie is forced to deliver the baby himself.
Pramface - Series One, Episode Six - Aaargh

Despite the fact that in some ways it continued to epitomise everything wrong with the series, "Aaargh" was by far the most entertaining hour that Pramface has produced so far. The characters were a lot better constructed, and despite the detatchment that I've felt for the past five weeks, I felt for these characters for the first time. The rest of the storylines made me chuckle and I just felt like for a change, Pramface knew what it was doing.
     Laura, debating on whether to get into a relationship with Jamie, has him take her shopping. While shopping, Laura's contractions start and they're unabgle to get back to the car. Laura's parents attend a conference and try and get frisky, while Jamie's parents go hiking in order for Jamie's Dad to reveal that he's been made redundant. Mike decided to run in a chrarity fun-run and then take the proceeds in order to buy a prostitute and lose his virginity. Beth gets wise to his plan and forces him to give the proceeds to charity. Jamie's Dad gives a touching speech over the phone to Jamie, helping him to deliver Laura's baby. As they're taken to A&E, the two protagonists admit to each other that they're not prepared for what's to come.
     It's surprising for me that this episode worked because of its characters, which in the past have been Pramface's weakest element. Fundamentally, Aaargh did what was necessary and didn't have so many overt attempts to comedy, and thus the humour was more subtle and character-based, which worked because after five weeks the characters have enough slow-dripped personality to be funny. As I said last week, the relationship between the two leads has only just developed, and that played a major part in making this episode more appealing.
     I wouldn't reccomend it, but I would be curious to see what a second series of Pramface could accomplish with these characters, especially as there were several arcs that were left as loose ends and there was a clear hook at the end for a series examining Laura and Jamie's attempts to raise a child together. I'll be looking for future developments and if this final episode has proved anything, it's that Pramface and it's characters can produce good TV.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.