Regardless, I've decided to dig up that review from my Archives and finally, around six months later than promised, post it on the site. Keep in mind my own reservations, and read on.
-------------------------
Written Summer 2010. Trip occurred in July 2010.
I've been struggling to get round to writing this, mainly because at the time, I felt more of an indifference towards the park then any particular strong opinion. Regardless, it's time for me to take a look at the money-sink that is Alton Towers, and whether we should let it walk over the park's history.
I made it my aim this time to show my partner around the park, as he had never been before. It was therefore in my best interests to explore every area of the park, looking at design, enjoyment and hospitality. Despite my position that adrenaline thrills are a waste of time, I tried to keep an unbiased view.
As always, the park is a very immersive experience - several theming devices and a constant source of music make the surreal areas more believable. The main areas of the park looked at Pirates, Jungles, Tech Parks and then more kiddie themed Fairytale and Cloud Cookoo Lands. These areas are well-spaced and connected, with several routes between them, and the maps are fairly clear as well as being colourful and a good display of what's on offer.
In my last visit, I was badgered by stall-owners as I walked past, to my great annoyance. This has been eradicated, although the prices are still sky-high. Alton Towers is a pure cash-cow; designed to sink as much money as possible from its customers. And, it seems, it is succeeding.
And now to where I wanted to go on this trip; the two areas of the park most true to its spirit and yet also sadly rejected - the Towers themselves, and the Gardens. Before entering these areas, park-supervisors actually asked us whether we wanted to go in there, or whether we were simply mixed up. And this shouldn't be the attitude; both are well-kept areas of historical significance, and are quite beautiful in their own way.
Alton Towers itself was a settlement looking back to around 1000B.C., but the current castle was built as an extension to a hunting lodge after the English Civil War in the 1600s. The castle is now used for weddin ceremonies, although it is fully possible to explore the ruins, taking a look at the old kitchens and the several writing rooms and lounges. The rooves offer a great view of not only the park but also the surrounding countryside.
The Gardens on the other hand are much more well-preserved. Straddling a valley between two of the park's main areas, Charles's Talbots gardens are just a wonderful work of art, taking from many different cultures and perfectly understanding the subtlties of garden design. There're the Roman colummns, the large Eastern Pagoda, the Lily Pond, the statues, and many other interesting sections.
So, I conclude. Alton Towers has a great atmosphere and you can have a really fun time. The sheer amount of care and effort put into keeping the park clean and safe is astounding, even in the areas where less emphasis is placed on people visiting. However, some of the park staff can sometimes get in the way of your enjoyment, even though they do it less than in the past.
Thanks.
I made it my aim this time to show my partner around the park, as he had never been before. It was therefore in my best interests to explore every area of the park, looking at design, enjoyment and hospitality. Despite my position that adrenaline thrills are a waste of time, I tried to keep an unbiased view.
As always, the park is a very immersive experience - several theming devices and a constant source of music make the surreal areas more believable. The main areas of the park looked at Pirates, Jungles, Tech Parks and then more kiddie themed Fairytale and Cloud Cookoo Lands. These areas are well-spaced and connected, with several routes between them, and the maps are fairly clear as well as being colourful and a good display of what's on offer.
In my last visit, I was badgered by stall-owners as I walked past, to my great annoyance. This has been eradicated, although the prices are still sky-high. Alton Towers is a pure cash-cow; designed to sink as much money as possible from its customers. And, it seems, it is succeeding.
And now to where I wanted to go on this trip; the two areas of the park most true to its spirit and yet also sadly rejected - the Towers themselves, and the Gardens. Before entering these areas, park-supervisors actually asked us whether we wanted to go in there, or whether we were simply mixed up. And this shouldn't be the attitude; both are well-kept areas of historical significance, and are quite beautiful in their own way.
| Castle Gardens |
The Gardens on the other hand are much more well-preserved. Straddling a valley between two of the park's main areas, Charles's Talbots gardens are just a wonderful work of art, taking from many different cultures and perfectly understanding the subtlties of garden design. There're the Roman colummns, the large Eastern Pagoda, the Lily Pond, the statues, and many other interesting sections.
So, I conclude. Alton Towers has a great atmosphere and you can have a really fun time. The sheer amount of care and effort put into keeping the park clean and safe is astounding, even in the areas where less emphasis is placed on people visiting. However, some of the park staff can sometimes get in the way of your enjoyment, even though they do it less than in the past.
Thanks.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.