Scouting For Girls, Scouting For Girls (2007)
Prior to me becoming a real fan of current music, I'd often be surprised when certain pop songs in the charts all belonged to artists that I'd heard of from the same place, like I'd never made the connection. Here we have a band that has produced a series of very memorable, very enjoyable soft-rock songs, and here they are, condensed into one album, as well as a lot more of the same. While a large amount are covers, the Scouts give their own, memorable touch.
The album's main vibes are, as is exceedingly common, relationship based. Luckily this is done well, with believable vocals and realistic sentiment (well, for the most point.) The songs have an inescapable charm about them that distingushes them from other bands (and perhaps the song's original versions), and they all sound different enough for you to have an interesting and dynamic experience.
It's against my reputation as a critic to accept that I find no negative criticism of Scouting For Girls' eponymous album, but I'm willing to risk it. SFG as a listening experience is an exceedingly pleasant one; the lyrics are fun in some place and profound in others, and there's enough variation in style and tone for it to not grow stale. It's just a fully enjoyable album.
Thanks.

You just had to review it didn't you? Ha ha. Very good.
ReplyDelete