-----
About two years ago, my parents took me to
a one-hundred-year celebration of Gorton’s acceptance into Manchester. I was a little bitter, and I
really didn’t enjoy myself. There’s just something about firework displays, I
suppose. I’m not really a fan of standing in the cold trying to decide whether
to feel worse about the growing tinnitus or the numbness of one’s hands. And I
was angry. But it was that night, after I’d been forced into going to this
display, that I began a hobby that has lasted me up until and after the present
day.
How did I express my anger? I waited. I
didn’t shout at my parents, I didn’t write passive-aggressive Facebook
statuses. I wrote a review. Not a very good review, mind – the syntax is
horrible and there are several spelling mistakes. But that review, what I
called, the Gorton 100, led me to do some more writing. Just to see. Just to
see whether this writing stuff could go anywhere. So I reviewed the school
play. I reviewed the military band, I reviewed the Halle Orchestra. And I loved
it. I loved it so much, that I created an online blog to write in. And, since I
thought that it’d be about school, why not call it Audenshaw Reviews?
At first I had no idea what to review.
Books? They were out of the question – who was I to offer a literary critique?
Music? I knew nothing about that. The only thing I could remember was that
there was ternary form and binary form and I had forgotten the difference
between the two. So Music was out of the question. And then, after about a
month – after a review of Lidl and Primark (they didn’t go down well) – I had a
brainwave. What do I, of all people, do the most? I watch TV. I knew something
about Tv. About Form, and Structure, and Tone, and Characterisation. I didn’t know
a lot, but I knew what I liked. I wasn’t the best writer in the world, but I
stuck at it. I reviewed the TV that I liked to watch the most - Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, Lost.
This talk was going to be on Lost, but I
thought this would be more interesting. Judging by the looks on your faces I
was wrong.
You may not have thought that this talk was
interesting or even relevant, but this is a hobby close to my heart. It’s been
a constant to me – a part of my life over the past two years that I could
always depend on. I think that it's healthy, even necessary, to find something in your life that's yours to enjoy, and yours to improve. My name’s Archie, and I’m the author of Audenshaw
Reviews.
Thanks.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.