| The entire special effects budget for Series Three. |
Morgana's prophetic dreams guided her to attempt to seperate Arthur and Gwen, preventing either from taking the throne. She organised a quiet meeting between them in the forest, and then led Uther to find them. Angry at finding his son with a serving girl, Uther (the bastard) orders Gwen banished. When Arthur says that he will go with her, and return to put Gwen on the throne, Morgana changes tactics and sets Gwen up as a witch. As she is readied for execution, Merlin cottons on and disguises himself as an aging wizard to clear Gwen's name.
The romance between Arthur and Gwen no longer feels forced, with Overman's sublte and realistic dialogue allowing for plenty of touching but realistic scenes. In fact, everyone in the cast got great lines (except for Merlin, see below) and a good chance to stretch their acting muscles.
I have only one issue with this episode, as captioned. While disguised as the old sourcerer, Merlin really fails to fit the part, meaning that he is more or less recognised by everyone (luckily only in the form of, "Have I met you before...?") I don't think this is Colin Morgan's fault; I think it's poor scriptwriting on the part of Overman, such a shame in an otherwise brilliant episode.
Overall, Howard Overman's story may have some small issues regarding innapproriately placed humour, but otherwise it's a realistic, character driven piece that makes use of its main players well and never lets up the pace.
Next week: Mindless filler!!!
Thanks.
I think he looks riduculous
ReplyDeletebut i still love the series no matter what they go through