There are just some shows that I can't, ney, won't miss. Misfits is one of them. Main writer Howard Overman is a bit of a mixed bag; his other projects include terrible comedy Vexed and some of the best and worst of Merlin. However, his project here is perhaps one of the most ambitious and high-quality programs on television today, with realistic and gritty dialogue with potent drama to boot.
The first series (which I hope to be reviewing in the new year, once I get the boxset) did an excellent job of setting out the show's stall. Five (good-hearted, generally) delinquents gain superpowers in a freak storm. It may seem like a light and fluffy premise, but the show's general realism with the material it is given is a breath of fresh air. It may not be for everyone, due to the highly crude and sexualised content, but it's certainly something which I refuse to miss.
Now onto the episode itself. The characters are very well utlised here, each displaying their own abilities and personalites as the events around them tried to knock them down. The enemy this episode, after newly-immortal Nathan was returned from the grave, was an ex-aquaintance of outcast Simon, who had become obsessed with him during their time shared in a psychiatric unit. She gained the power of shape-shifting in the storm, and provided quite a bit of fun out-of-character acting. Mainly, this episode was a character excercise for Simon, who, after his weak status in Series One, has turned out to be one of the series most powerful and interesting characters. Other additions include a cocky new probation worker, the promise of an end to their probation service, and a mysterious stranger who stalks the group.
Despite some light crudity, the episode is both gripping and hilarious, and the acting is yet again spot on. I think Misfits is actually better than before, now that all of the main pieces are aranged on the board. I'm quite intrigued by the blooming storyline, and I certainly won't miss this next week.
Thanks.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.