Wednesday, 29 January 2014

Review: Lost 2.3: Orientation

Lost - Season Two, Episode Three - Orientation
Written 6/7/13
Francine feels a little too much if you ask me. You all do. I mean, seriously...?"So-and-so never called me back, my mother stole thirty dollars from me" - I never even knew who my parents *were*. A couple years ago my birth mother found me and she told me - I was 'special'. And through her I met my real father - great news, right? Well, he pretended to love me just long enough to steal my kidney because he had to have a transplant! And then he dropped me back in the world like a piece of trash just like he did on the day I was born. You want your damn thirty dollars back? I want my kidney back!  .

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060719234211/lostpedia/images/9/9b/Ori4.jpg
Locke is compelled to fix The Swan's computer.
From Wikia
In this week's edition of, "How Shitty Is John Locke's Life?", we're presented with an episode that puts so many others to shame it's not even funny. The way this episode wore together the advancing plotlines and the characterisations of both John Locke and Jack Shephard was inspiringly written and when all is said and done it's one of the best episodes of LOST so far on this runthrough, every second a drop of pure dramatic gold. As well as introducing two of my favourite characters in the B-plot, it also introduces us to DHARMA and to Pushing the Button, some of the things that make Season Two my favourite of the lot.
     In the A-plot, we see the conclusion to the cliffhanger from the previous two episodes, with Kate resolving the standoff by accidentally shooting the Swan computer, leading Desmond to go into a panic and to try to explain himself by telling them that he was dragged down there three years prior and made to watch a DHARMA orientation video about Pushing The Button to save the world. Jack, shaken after recognising Desmond due to his obsession with arbitrary scepticism, is incredibly critical, and lambastes Locke who calls Sayid in to help fix the computer so he can Push The Button. When the computer is fixed and Jack has had a talk with a fleeing Desmond, Locke and Jack standoff as he helps to push the button, giving in to Locke's pleas.
     The main plot of the episode was tied in very well to the flashback, which felt like it got more screen time than usual, in which we find a post-Kidney-op Locke getting together with the fabled Helen who is forced to help him get through his obsession with finding answers to his father's actions. Terry O'Quinn's performance in this episode is of a higher standard then even in his other centrics from the first season, capturing Locke's desperation and lack of internal guidance in such a subtle and mind-boggling brilliant way that I can bearly contain my admiration for it. Katey Sagal's Helen (Leela from Futurama!) is a wonderful addition to the show and the way she connects with Locke's character so intuitively and yet realistically is what rounds that part of the episode off to perfection.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110118084930/lostpedia/images/5/5c/2x03_LockeAndHelen.jpg
Helen tries to help John move on from his father.
From Wikia
     In the B-plot, the guys on the Raft were thrown into a pit by an imposing African man who we will come to know in the coming weeks as Mr. Eko. He's awesome, trust me. Thrown in with them is Ana-Lucia Cortez, whom we met in last season's finale, who reveals that she is part of the plane's tail section survivors (hereon Tailies), before she steals Sawyer's gun and gets pulled out, revealing her to be part of the group that kidnapped them in the first place. At the moment the Tailie storyline is a bit slow, but that was fine - the stuff in the Swan with both Locke and Jack's need to question their current understanding of their scenario was much more important, and we'll get to the real beef of this storyline in a month or so's time.
     The season took its time, but third episode in and we're hit with a slammer of an episode that gets everything right and in so many various exquisite and delightful ways. Matthew Fox and Terry O'Quinn act their socks off, both displaying painfully flawed characters who begin at odds with one another's ideologies and who by the end reach a grudging understanding that dregs up tragic circumstances in their pasts for both of them. It's just beautiful writing and I can honestly say that if what I remember of the rest of the season is this good, then I am so looking forward to carrying on with it.

Thanks.

NEXT WEEK: The show gets a bit harsh and insists that Everybody Hates Hugo.

No comments:

Post a Comment